Tax preparer registration
The 2021 Tax Preparer Registration Application is now available. You can register using your Individual Online Services account.
If you have not completed the 2021 Registration Education Requirements, you’ll need to complete it before you can register for 2021.
You may have received emails from the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) to confirm your enrollment in the 2021 4-hour Continuing Registration Education Requirements program. Please do not contact the SLMS Helpdesk as they have no further information to provide regarding the emails you received.
If you're having trouble using or accessing SLMS, see SLMS troubleshooting guide.
You must register, or renew your registration, with the New York State Tax Department for every calendar year in which you:
- will be paid to prepare one or more New York State tax returns or reports; or
- will facilitate a refund anticipation loan (RAL) or refund anticipation check (RAC).
Are you one of the following?
- CPA (certified public accountant)
- PA (public accountant)
- enrolled agent
- volunteer tax preparer
- employee of an attorney
- employee of a CPA
- employee of a PA
- employee of an enrolled agent
- employee of a business who only prepares the business’ tax returns
- Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator
- How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator
- Continuing education requirements for tax return preparers
- Publication 58, Information for Income Tax Return Preparers
- Tax preparer regulations
- Answer Center: Tax Preparer Registration
- Tax Law: